Sunday, December 15, 2013

It's that time again... believe in it, or not...





I never was a believer in any man-made religion, nor were my family, but we always celebrated Christmas as a special time of the year, a time for happy exchanges that did not have to be of the material kind. As an adult, deeply involved in the jazz world, I used to receive and send quite a number of cards as the holiday neared, but that has proven to be as ephemeral as one might reasonably expect—the years have robbed me of many very dear friends, but each as left lasting memories behind. They, too, will of course accompany me as my time to depart comes. 

Click here to view my video card, which is mostly a reflection of my life on the jazz scene. There, in a more interactive environment, I had the good fortune to meet many great artists and form lasting friendships. These cards go back to a time when e-mail took much that was emotionally valuable away from us. The jazz world and WBAI used to have a special bond. Lou Schweitzer opened his microphone to the music in the pre-Pacifica days, and I reopened them, The performers, in turn, rallied to help us conduct our first two overwhelmingly successful, if chaotic, fundraising marathons. I'm afraid that started a bad habit that has gotten way out of hans and may prove to be instrumental in the station's impending demise. 


6 comments:

  1. That was lovely, wonderful, and heartwarming, Chris, thank you for sharing – and very best wishes at this, the turning of the year :)

    ~ ‘Indigo’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Indigo. I wish you and yours the same.

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a great collection of Christmas cards! and great music as well! You must have had SOME presence on the Jazz scene! The only Jazz music I actually got into was the 1960's stuff released on Impulse records by way Red Hot on Impulse CD compilation... And Alimi Ballard, wasn't he a co-star on the Numb3rs TV series? Is he in Jazz music also? Anyway, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, Alimi is an old friend. Years ago, when he was just starting out, I used my commercial art experience to help him prepare a portfolio. He likes jazz, but his taste in music is eclectic. Merry Christmas to you, too, and many more.

      Delete
  3. It must be desperation - they have gone to non-stop Null infomercials with a little Goodman thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly tonight, Wednesday, 12/18, among the few respites from the quack medicine and the conspiracy theories were the "Off the Hook" show and the Computer show. These are actually good shows and likely are among the few (other then the quack medicine) that have any audience.

    ReplyDelete